After losing a pool of running backs from last season’s roster, including Eric Williams, who’s 646 yards and five rushing touchdowns lead the bunch, first-year coach Pete Lembo upgraded the position Thursday.
But help is still a ways away.
University of Tennessee redshirt sophomore running back Toney Williams went public with his decision to transfer to Ball State, according to Tom Davis, of The News-Sentinel.
“I knew a little bit about the program and got a chance to look at the communications program,” Williams told the Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Williams was said to have felt like everything “just clicked” when he took a tour of Ball State.
Williams started three games for the Volunteers in 2010. He carried the ball five times for 11 yards.
Because of NCAA rules, Williams must sit out the entirety of this season. Williams will be eligible for the 2012 season.
More on RB Toney Williams
- Enrolled at the University of Tennessee in January of 2009 and took part in spring drills.
- Rated No. 4 among fullbacks in 2009 class by Scout.com
- Invited to Under Armour All-America Game after his senior season at Milton High School.
- Class 5A Player of the Year in 2008, leading Milton High School to the state playoffs for the fist time in nine seasons.
- Named All-State and All-Fulton County as a senior by the Georgia Sports Writers Association.
- Rushed for 1,945 yards, scoring 26 touchdowns as a senior at Milton HS.